By employing a standard set of protocols for constructing dioramas, you will be able to easily interchange walls and floors within your dioramas. A modular diorama is customizable, making the display options limitless.
What is a Modular Diorama?
A diorama module is comprised of interchangeable parts which can be assembled to form a variety of different structures. Modules are built to a set of standards that allow each unit to interface with other units.
- The materials for modular diorama layouts are readily available at most hardware stores:
- 1” thick insulation foam board
- Magnets (3/4” or smaller)
- Steel screws
Why go modular?
- The modular approach has many advantages:
- Lightweight materials make transporting modules easy
- Storage is easy since disassembled modules may lay flat
- Scenes can be changed easily
- More possibilites for display and photography
- Prevents creative burnout by letting you experiment in smaller sections
- Module pieces can be combined with those created by other artists
The DioTribe Modular Diorama Guidelines were created to be the standard for interchangeable module units, but there will be times when the standards just won’t work for your diorama — that’s okay! The standards are not meant to hinder your creativity, so feel free to modify them to fit your needs, but realize by doing so, your creation may not work with other modular dioramas. If you are having fun, then you are doing it right!
Basic Building Parts of Diorama Modules
There are three parts to a Diorama Module: 1. Floor, 2 Back Wall, and 3. Side Walls
Sample of How to Enlarge Module Parts
While the base modular diorama floor is a 12” square, you may adjust the sizes to suit your needs, just be sure to keep the magnet and screw placement consistent. Here is an example of how to make a floor that is 24” wide:
Sample configurations of Diorama Modules
These guidelines are how we build modular dioramas at the DioTribe. Feel free to employ these standards within your own diorama projects. If you have any questions or ideas on how these standards could be improved, please send us an email.
Download a PDF of the DioTribe’s Modular Diorama Guidelines.